By Carolyn I. Brown, Ph.D.
It is at this point in your courses when you are assigned essays and projects that require writing, research, and documentation. The Writing Center and Online Writing Center can give you feedback on your essays and help you improve your writing. Students are encouraged to use the face-to-face Writing Center whenever possible for real-time feedback and discussion. Graduate students, online students, and students at extended and international campuses are encouraged to use the OWC for your writing needs. Our friendly coaches give constructive, holistic feedback on all assignments.
Here’s what you can expect from your writing coach:
- Your time working with a writing coach will be a productive experience.
- Your writing coach will maintain standards of professionalism and privacy as outlined through our University’s policies and through the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). More information can be found here: webster.edu/student-handbook/ferpa.html.
- You can expect your writing coach to know various paper formats, but your writing coach may not have been assigned the exact same paper, or had the same professor, as you.
- Your writing coach will read your paper and look at global issues of focus, development, organization, logic, and clarity. While the Writing Center is not a proofreading service, coaches will discuss patterns of mechanical and grammatical issues and provide suggestions on how to recognize and correct them. Coaches will also assist with conventions of documentation and citation.
- Your writing coach can make suggestions on how to improve your papers/projects, but your professor expects you to write independently. If you have specific questions about a paper assignment, it is your responsibility to reach out to your professor.
- If specified by you, the Writing Center staff will contact your professor only to notify him/her that you visited the Writing Center. No other information will be given per FERPA.
In order to ensure the best coaching experience, here are some helpful tips:
- Please schedule all appointments with your writing coach via our online scheduler at mywconline.comat least 24 hours in advance.
- If you are using the Online Writing Center, please allow 2-3 days for your paper to be read and returned to you with feedback; 4-5 days during midterms and finals. You can access the Online Writing Center by going to the Resources tab in your WorldClassRoom, next going to the Writing Assistance tab, then submitting your paper directly through Canvas.
- Please be prepared with ALL relevant materials (hard copy of draft, assignment sheet, outline) in order for our coaches to fully assist you.
- Please come with an open mind and a positive attitude!
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your coaching session, please feel free to contact the Writing Center and Plagiarism Prevention Program Coordinator, Dr. Carolyn I. Brown, at email@example.com. Please plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to revise. Your writing coaches and your instructors will appreciate it.
Carolyn I. Brown, Ph.D., is the Writing Center Coordinator & Plagiarism Prevention Program Coordinator for the Academic Resource Center