By Kristin Cobos, Writing and Online Writing Center Coordinator
It is at this point in your courses when you are assigned essays and projects that require writing, research, and documentation. The Writing Center and Online Writing Center can give you feedback on your essays and help you improve your writing. We encourage you to use the face-to-face Writing Center whenever possible for real-time feedback and discussion. If you are a graduate student, online student, or a student at an extended or international campus, we encourage you to use the OWC for your writing needs. Our friendly coaches give constructive, holistic feedback on all assignments.
The Writing Center
Here’s what you can expect from your writing coach:
- Your time working with a writing coach will be a productive experience.
- Your writing coach will maintain standards of professionalism and privacy as outlined through our University’s policies and through the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). More information can be found here: webster.edu/student-handbook/ferpa.html.
- You can expect your writing coach to know various paper formats, but your writing coach may not have been assigned the exact same paper, or had the same professor, as you.
- Your writing coach will read your paper and look at global issues of focus, development, organization, logic, and clarity. While the Writing Center is not a proofreading service, coaches will discuss patterns of mechanical and grammatical issues and provide suggestions on how to recognize and correct them. Coaches will also assist with conventions of documentation and citation.
- Your writing coach can make suggestions on how to improve your papers/projects, but your professor expects you to write independently. If you have specific questions about a paper assignment, it is your responsibility to reach out to your professor.
- If specified by you, the Writing Center staff will contact your professor only to notify him/her that you visited the Writing Center. No other information will be given per FERPA.
In order to ensure the best coaching experience, here are some helpful tips:
- Please schedule all appointments with your writing coach via our online scheduler at mywconline.com at least 24 hours in advance.
Kristin Cobos is the Writing and Online Writing Center Coordinator & for the Academic Resource Center