Goal setting and planning for 2019 should be on your radar now. As you begin to reflect on your progress toward 2018 goals, think about how you can move forward with momentum and build a strategy for what 2019 will bring.
Review these strategies for conquering 2019’s goals:
- Where did you start 2018 and where are you now? Reflect on the highs and lows of 2018, and begin mapping opportunities for the New Year.
- Alert your contact network regarding your 2019 goals. With a newly developed list of goals, think about the support systems that you have to assist with staying on track.
- How will you measure success? If your goal is to explore two new careers by conducting informational interviews with new networking contacts, you can measure your success by learning about new careers while making connections with like minded individuals. If your goal is to be happier with your job, measuring your success with that specific goal may involve changing behaviors, habits, routines, etc. to evaluate how any changes impact the way you feel about your job.
- Plan for setbacks. While progress toward whatever goal we set out to accomplish is the objective, it is likely that a disruption in your progress may be presented at any point during the year. With the right mindset, change your perspective on any setbacks presented as an opportunity to persevere through a challenge.
- Celebrate your progress and completion of your goals. For some, satisfaction may come in the form of crossing off a large task from a to-do list. Whatever form of celebration you prefer, acknowledge your hard work by celebrating your success.
2019 is just weeks away. Maintain momentum in the final weeks of 2018, and begin looking ahead to start the New Year off on the right foot!
John Link is the Director in the Webster University Career Planning & Development Center.