This week (September 11-15, 2017) is Academic Integrity Week at Webster University. We now have a new website called Academic Integrity at Webster to help you navigate through frequently asked questions, provide resources, and explain documentation styles related to academic integrity. To visit the website, go to www.webster.edu/academic-integrity/
Part of maintaining academic integrity is utilizing the resources available to you as a student at Webster University. The Writing Center and Online Writing Center can help you prepare papers and projects that meet academic integrity standards.
Here’s what you can expect from a Webster University Writing Coach:
- Your time working with a writing coach will be a productive experience.
- Your writing coach will maintain standards of professionalism and privacy as outlined through our University’s policies and through the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). More information can be found here: www.webster.edu/student-handbook/ferpa.html.
- You can expect your writing coach to know various paper formats, but your writing coach may not have been assigned the exact same paper, or had the same professor, as you.
- Your writing coach will read your paper and look at global issues of focus, development, organization, logic, and clarity. While the Writing Center is not a proofreading service, coaches will discuss patterns of mechanical and grammatical issues and provide suggestions on how to recognize and correct them. Coaches will also assist with conventions of documentation and citation.
- Your writing coach can make suggestions on how to improve your papers/projects, but your professor expects you to write independently. If you have specific questions about a paper assignment, it is your responsibility to reach out to your professor.
- If specified by you, the Writing Center staff will contact your professor only to notify him/her that you visited the Writing Center. No other information will be given per FERPA.
In order to ensure the best coaching experience, here are some helpful tips:
- Please schedule all appointments with your writing coach via our online scheduler at webster.mywconline.com at least 24 hours in advance.
- If you are using the Online Writing Center, please allow 2-3 days for your paper to be read and returned to you with feedback; 4-5 days during midterms and finals. You can access the Online Writing Center by going to the Resources tab in your WorldClassRoom, next going to the Writing Assistance tab, then submitting your paper directly through Canvas.
- Please be prepared with ALL relevant materials (hard copy of draft, assignment sheet, outline) in order for our coaches to fully assist you.
- Please come with an open mind and a positive attitude!
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your coaching session, please feel free to contact the Writing Center/Online Writing Center Coordinator, Dr. Carolyn I. Brown, at firstname.lastname@example.org.